Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram have removed the video of President Donald Trump’s tribute to George Floyd on their platforms last Friday, due to an alleged copyright complaint.
The video shows photos and videos of the protest marches and violent acts that have occurred after Floyd’s death, as Trump speaks in the background.
It is unclear what copyright infringement led to the complaint, but California attorney Sam Koolaq told Politico that his company filed copyright complaints on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Floyd’s death last week at the hands of a police officer while in custody has sparked protests across the country.
After the video was removed, Trump criticized the removal on Twitter. “They are fighting hard for the Democrats of the Radical Left. A one-sided battle. Illegal, ”he wrote on Twitter.
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey replied in a tweet, “Not true and not illegal.” In addition, he added, “This was withdrawn because we received a complaint from the DMCA from the copyright holder.”
On the other hand, Facebook, which is also the owner of Instagram, said that it withdrew the post after receiving a copyright complaint from the creator.
The three-minute, 45-second video was tweeted by the Trump campaign on Wednesday. He also uploaded to Trump’s YouTube channel and his campaign’s Facebook page. The video has garnered more than 1.4 million views on YouTube and Facebook combined.
YouTube has said that the video posted on the Trump campaign is not identical to the one posted on Twitter. The content included in the copyright complaint is not present in the YouTube video and, therefore, the video is still present on the video platform.
In the past, Twitter has removed at least two of Trump’s videos featuring music from the Batman movie soundtrack “The Dark Knight Rises” and Nickelback’s “Photograph.”